Roof Repair Vs Replacement: Which Do I Need?
If you are a homeowner, there is a great chance that you will have to face a potentially costly dilemma at some point: whether to just repair your roof or replace it. While a licensed contractor can help you make this decision, it’s also important to educate yourself so you can weigh the pros and cons. Here we have provided some information that will help make the decision a little more clear-cut.
In less serious situations, it is acceptable to just repair the roof. Some of these less serious situations include:
- Noticing a leak in one spot of your roof, especially after a fairly heavy rainfall.
- If you notice water spots developing in one or two small spots on your ceiling.
- If the damage is only cosmetic and your roof is still completely functional.
- If the roof is in overall good condition and you do not plan on living there long-term.
Before just replacing some shingles it’s important to have a professional examine the interior and exterior of your roof to ensure that a patch job will extend the lifespan of your roof, without leading to more expensive damage in the future.
How do you know if you should just replace the entire roof? The answer depends on quite a few factors. Generally, it’s a bit more obvious if your entire roof needs replaced. Here are situations where a repair just won’t cut it:
- If there are multiple spots in different area of your ceiling indicating water damage.
- If the roof is leaking in a widespread area.
- If your roof is over 20 years old and has a couple problem areas, it is probably at the end of its lifespan and should be replaces.
- If the condition of your shingles is such that they can be blown away in high-wind situations.
- If your roof is sagging, you will want to replace it as soon as possible.
When it’s time to replace your roof, be sure to consult with an expert. Everything in your home is dependent on your roof being reliable, and while you may need to consider the price of repairing vs replacing, it shouldn’t be the main factor that goes into the decision.
Not sure if your roof needs repaired or replaced? Contact us today for a free estimate!